Gatekeepers

I recently had a friend visit who is working 80+ hours a week as a resident to be a surgeon, and he said they used to make them work 100+ hr/week (apparently they're growing more sensible). When he included that they often work 26 hours in a row, I couldn't help but wondering what on earth could be the rationale. I surely wouldn't want a doctor examining me after working over 12 hours, let alone 20.

I've decided it's simply a case of professional hazing. The doctors-that-be had to go through hell, so the neophytes have to as well. Though I think it goes beyond doing what's been done to you (as in the cases of abuse or high school hazing), a part of their sadistic motivation includes adhering to a demanding rite-of-passage that allows those who have completed it to feel superior to those who have not.

Now I don't think that all doctors suffer from some sort of insecure solipsism (like not all dancers have eating disorders), but I do think that a fair share of them do and that their gatekeeper policies are ludicrous. My main problem is the lack of justification that these extreme measures improve performance. In "Human Competence," Gilbert (p. 195) gives an interesting take on how doctors lack much of a feedback loop to measure their performance at all.

I will admit to my bias (yet again). From a doctor telling my wife that, "teachers don't take their kids to Disneyland," to often waiting inordinate amounts of time for a doctors appointment (even when I was the first patient of the day), I haven't always had the best interactions with our medical friends.

Looking at the broader context of gatekeeping, most professions require some schooling followed by a demanding exam of sorts. I'm skeptical of many of these practices as well, for the same reason that I doubt they are the best predictor of competence in the field (likely stemming from my disdain for rote memorization and standardized testing in educational settings). Education is an exception to these trends. Traditionally there has been little if any gatekeeping in the profession, likey because positions were hard to fill anyway. In recent years many states have implemented exams that teachers are required to pass, with two major differences from other professional gatekeeping practices: the requirements are imposed from an outside source (legislators, state school boards, etc.) rather than from the profession itself, and the difficulty of the tests are laughable.

So what's my point in all this? I'm not sure. I guess simply that gatekeepers across the board seldom act rationally.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I Strongly disagree with your conclusion. Gatekeepers are very rational--its just that they act in their own interests instead of public's interests.

Your evidence, I think, supports my conclusion. Actual doctors make the process of becoming a doctor hard to dissuade people interested in become doctors from actually becoming doctors. Thus, doctors cut off potential competition and make their own services more valuable.

The regulation of teachers is an interesting example of how self interest works the other way. The Legislature could make it more difficult to become a teacher, however, the more difficult it is to become a teacher, the more the state will have to pay for teachers. Thus, the relatively lax regulations for becoming a teacher are in the gatekeeper's interests in that case too.

In short, gatekeepers act very rationally. It's just that they rarely promote the interest of the party they pretend to promote.

The only exception to this rule is the Oregon bar. You know, now that I've passed the bar, I realize that it's way too easy. We should make it 10 times harder. Come on people, let's do it for the children!

rdh
Brett said…
I'll admit that gatekeeper irrationality was a poor conclusion. It was hastily written as I couldn't think of anything else to close with. Why do lawyers always have to get hung up on a single phrase? Gosh!

And yes gatekeepers are obviously self interested (my examples of egotism and perpetuating abuse are selfish motives). I think that the point I wanted to make was more that they pretend to be protecting the public from mediocre services when their real motivation is entirely different. I think the legislators putting up pretend "gates" for teachers to placate the the public might be the worst offense.

I'll have to agree with you about the Oregon bar, if you passed it was definitely too easy.
Anonymous said…
Back when I was a kid, in the 40's and early 50's (happy days), doctors still made house calls, even in the middle of the night. So I think their residency training to think while half dead/asleep was to prepare them for the real future in their practise. I don't think that doctors are as likely to be so sleep deprived now day, except for maybe the baby doctors. rrg
Anonymous said…
It's more fun to diagree than agree. I'm just trying to spice up your blog.

Plus, it's not like I picked a random sentence. I picked the sentence that purported to answer the question "what's my point in all this?"

You think the bar should be so hard that I can't pass it? In other words, you don't believe that Oregon needs any lawyers.
Brett said…
Spice up away my friend. I'll just give you a hard time for it every now and again.

Are you suggesting that if the Oregon bar were too hard for you to pass than no else could either?

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Stats - Solar

Two Speeches

Books (2022 and 2023)