A Murray for all Brits

Though I still have 6 chapters of geology to go, I couldn't let Wimbledon pass by without comment. This years tournament is turning out to be a pretty good one. Roddick outlasted Hewitt in a 5 set battle of veterans (that's kinda weird), Haas is attempting to resurrect his career out of nowhere, Federer has a chance to break Sampras' all time Grand Slam titles record ("I love the record I have of reaching so many semifinals in Grand Slams in a row -- 21 is quite a number"), and then there's the big story in England - Andy Murray with a chance to break the 72 year drought since the last British men's champion.

From what I've seen, tennis is a much bigger deal in England than here in the states. Plus they host the biggest tournament. It would be like the same city hosting the Super Bowl every year, and going decades without even a realistic contender. All that is changing. Murray might not be the favorite, but he's definitely a contender. Henman Hill was quickly rechristened mount Murray. The interesting thing is that Murray isn't English, he's Scottish.

I guess the deal is that he's still British. And while the English don't generally like the Scottish (correct me if I'm wrong Leigh), when you've waited this long, even a Scotsman will do. It's kind of like rooting for the U of U in postseason play if BYU is out of the picture. At least it makes the Mountain West look good. So here's to Braveheart, the great British Hope.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You don't even have to work now, and you're still only posting once a month? Pathetic. You seriously need to get your blogging act together.

--rdh
Brett said…
I had an ultimatum to finish 3 credits of geology by July 15th or I wouldn't have a job. I'll recommit to my blogging duties after I'm done with that.
Leigh Harris said…
Maybe we dislike the English more than they dislike us..ha! But, yeah, suddenly a Scot will do uh. Go Murray!

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Stats - Solar

Two Speeches

Books (2022 and 2023)