Goodbye Endeavour

I want one of these signs.

Comments

justice4some said…
Even sadder considering the country's lack of commitment to further exploration. How did we lose our intrigue?
Brett said…
Well, deGrasse Tyson says this is how we lost it. He's overstating the case a bit (there are things other than space exploration that inspire dreams), but I do think the space program's ability to motivate is immense.

There is so much more to explore. Jupiter's moon Europa is almost certainly covered by an ocean under its icy crust. Can you imagine if we drilled through the ice and found life there? I'd go there before Mars.

While it is sad to say goodbye to the only space vehicle we have known in our lifetimes, the shuttles really couldn't do all that much in the end. And I am getting more convinced of the viability of privately funded exploration.

Check out Mars-One for example (would you be willing to travel to Mars if you could never come back?). There's another company with plans for mining asteroids. Plus NASA's been subcontracting with private companies for some time that can hopefully branch out on their own.

So here's to hoping for much more space exploration to come.

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Stats - Solar

Two Speeches

Books (2022 and 2023)