1984
I enjoy reading. But
apparently I enjoy other things more because unless it’s summertime I don’t end
up spending much time reading.
Fortunately, a few months ago I found that I can check out audio books
from the library, and while you often have to get on a waiting list, they do
have quite a large selection and overall it’s worked out great. Now I listen to books when I go running
(Lindsey says I’d run faster if I listened to music), do the dishes, mow the
lawn, etc.
So I thought I might review some of my recent listenings. I’ll start with 1984. There will be spoilers, but I figure if you
haven’t already read this book you’re probably not too likely to read it in the
near future. Plus everyone sort of
already knows how things are going to play out.
It seems that 1984 was required reading for most people in high
school, but apparently not in Fallon.
There were three main parts to the story (in my view, I haven’t read any
official critiques): Part one was just
getting to know the main character (Winston) and how utterly hopeless his life
is. Part two is the hopeful
portion. Winston starts a love affair
(something he’d thought to be an impossibility) and learns that the rumored
resistance to Big Brother actually exists.
Part three is basically the most crushing ending imaginable. I knew there wouldn’t be a happy ending, but
Orwell manages to surprise with just how demoralizing he makes it. Winston finds that the level of surveillance
was orders of magnitude greater than he had assumed; the “Thought Police” even
replaced a spec of dust that he had placed in the corner of his journal to
alert him to tampering. Winston is
captured (which you knew was coming), but rather than having the government
just kill him, they break him down mentally until he realizes that he loves Big
Brother. I can’t do the emotional
experience of having read (or listened to) the book justice, but like I said,
it was utterly crushing.
There are a number of interesting themes: thought control through
controlling language, thought control in general, government surveillance, the
role of history in shaping the future, the role of media, etc. Overall I didn’t really come away as fired up
against the NSA as I thought I might (maybe because the Orwellian picture is so
bleak that it still seems otherworldly despite recent technological advances in
surveillance). But 1984 does make clear
that opposing mass government surveillance isn’t so much about having something
to hide as being free to express thoughts without fear of governmental repercussions.
Most memorable line: “Sanity is not statistical.”

Comments
I think 1984 should still be mandatory reading (and I say that, even though I don't think I've read the whole thing). For all of Orwell's iconic denunciations of totalitarianism, I do feel like he kind of missed the boat, given his support of socialism. It could just be my political philosophy, but I have a hard time understanding how Orwell could both fear government overreaching and tyranny, yet support socialist government influencing every aspect of our (at least economic) lives.
I didn't know Orwell was a fan of socialism, though now that I think about it 1984 does describe its world as developing out of capitalism, so I should've made that connection.
I guess one could argue that a socialist state could exist that doesn't intrude into privacy as long as the social programs are very poorly run.