Roger






















I think I've mentioned this before, but I find myself rooting for Federer more and more as he gets older.  I've always enjoyed watching him play, there's just something artful about his game, but I used to find his personality off-putting.  Plus I tired of how much the tennis world swooned over him.

Watching him this morning I think I found a word for the beauty of how Federer plays: efficiency.  Nothing is forced, every movement is fluid, (most) every ball is well placed.  For whatever reason(s), I also really like the fact that his wife is not a super model and that they've have two sets of twins.  Makes him more relatable I guess.  We'll have to wait for his and Nadal's careers to be in the books before hashing out the GOAT, but here are some staggering accomplishments of Roger's (via Wikipedia):
  • Federer shares the Open Era record for most titles at the Australian Open with Andre Agassi and Novak Djokovic (4), at Wimbledon with Pete Sampras (7) and at the US Open with Jimmy Connors and Sampras (5).
  • Federer has appeared in 24 men's Grand Slam finals, with 10 in a row, both records, and appeared in 18 of 19 finals from the 2005 Wimbledon Championships through to the 2010 Australian Open.
  • He held the world no. 1 position for 302 weeks overall, including a 237-consecutive-week stretch at the top from 2004 to 2008.

The largest blemish of his career is his 10-23 record against Rafa.  If you don't count clay Roger only trails 8-10, but as I said, we'll wait a few more years before going there.

Comments

Ryan said…
I think I begrudgingly consider Federer the greatest--largely because he plays the game with such grace, and because he has the most grand-slams.

Maybe something is lost in translation, making him always seems like a stuffy jerk?

Brett said…
5-10 years ago, I couldn't stand him for just that reason. But he seems a little less stuffy to me now. Maybe it's just that he doesn't have as much to brag about.

Isn't Leigh a fan?
Ryan said…
For some reasons, she prefers Andy Murray.
Brett said…
Well yeah, but doesn't she like Federer more than Rafa?

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Stats - Solar

Two Speeches

Books (2022 and 2023)