2016 Stats - Solar
I was glad to see the end of my downward trend. Solar panels are supposed to degrade over time, but I was hoping the degradation curve wouldn't be too steep. These yearly variation are actually pretty small, when the plot is scaled from zero (rather than 22.5) it looks pretty flat. The standard deviation is 2.8%.
In other news, the PUCN reversed course (after significant social pressure) and has agreed to grandfather in those who already had solar in place. So for one year I was subject to the less desirable rate structure, but now it's back to business as usual.
Since I had a sizable stockpile of energy credits at the beginning of 2016, I didn't actually have to start paying for energy, I just saw my nest egg reduced from 6606 kWh to 1018 kWh. It took me about 4.5 years to amass that stockpile. They are going to mail me a check for about $200, plus I avoided about $185 in total monthly fees for the year, so in the end I effectively sold most of my stockpile for 6.9 cents per kWh. Retail price is about double that. It's particularly frustrating that I was forced to sell energy credits earned under the favorable (for me) net metering agreement at the wholesale rate.
But alas, at least the fiasco is over. Plus they'll now send me a check at the end of each year rather than allowing energy credits to pile up, which means that any future shenanigans shouldn't be retroactive like they were this time.

Comments