40
Parenting
Kids are
challenging. Such strong emotions. Was I ever that anxious? People with kids are initially less happy than those without, but
they end up happier later in life. Relief from having survived? Resilience from
enduring the trial? Grandkids giving the benefit of familial connections
without the responsibility? My kids are amazing little people. I love them.
Marriage
My wife is incredible.
We agree on almost everything. Marriage is still hard. It takes effort, and
patience, and understanding, and more effort, and bringing things up, and
letting things go. People expect too much from marriage. It’s said that
marriage was historically based on utility rather than love. I’m dubious of the
separation of love and marriage. We still expect too much from marriage. It’s a
roller coaster. That’s okay. My wife is amazing. I love her.
Work
My job is
easy. There are times when I’m quite busy, but of all areas in my life, my work
is the easiest to control. Should I be doing something more revolutionary in my
classroom? Should I change directions and work as a scientist? Should I go after
a bigger paycheck? I recently watched a movie about a scientist who risked his
life in a balloon to discover the layers of the atmosphere. What are the balloons
in my life? Am I too scared to get in? These musings are rare. I’m probably in
the 99th percentile when it comes to job satisfaction. My job is
amazing. I love it.
Health
I’m in good
shape in August. Five years ago I dropped 15 pounds. I don’t know why I didn’t
do it earlier. I don’t look too old. Some people my age look old. I should learn
to cook healthy meals. I should learn to cook. Healthy does not equal “natural.”
Politics
My tribe is
to hate the tribes. The world is complicated. There are no easy solutions. There is
data. There are principles. The future is unknowable. Your gun is more likely to harm your family than protect it. Your
gun control measure will not likely save a life. There are no easy solutions.
Your certainty is disconcerting. Subjective does not mean arbitrary. We need action. Not all actions are better
than inaction. I’m irrational too. But maybe not quite as irrational as you.
Faith
Not as easy
as when I was younger. I can barely hold my family together. Serving others is
a sacrifice. Please not another inconsequential meeting. Friends leave. I am
sad for them. I like numbers. Beauty, peace, and love are not quantifiable. Faith
is a choice. I choose faith.
Life is hard. Life is good. Here’s to the next 40.
Comments